Isabelle (しずえ Shizue) is a dog that acts as the secretary and assistant of the town's mayor. When first announced in the New Leaf developer commentary, Isabelle was not given a name, and was referred to as Secretary (ひしょ Hisho). In the June 2012 Nintendo Direct, she was given the name Shizue. Her name was localized as Isabelle in the February 14th, 2013 Nintendo Direct. She is the twin sister of Digby, who works at and stands in front of the entrance to the Happy Home Showcase.
She also appears in a manga called Tobidase Dōbutsu no Mori Minna de Seseragi Mura Life as a main character.
Isabelle is a bright yellow Shih Tzu puppy. She's very cheerful and looks happy most of the time, having rosy cheeks and a smile. On her tail and face she has a white patch of fur. Her default outfit is a green checkered shirt with a white top and red ribbon underneath, with a navy blue skirt, though her outfit will change in colder months, as well as on certain holidays. Her hair is tied up with a red ribbon with bells that jingle as she walks.
Isabelle is a very ditzy character. She often makes mistakes and gets overwhelmed and panicky when this happens. She is very friendly and respects others, often avoiding confrontations. She is very dedicated to the town and will often urge the player to better the town with projects, and by hosting events.
- Main article: Town Hall
Isabelle can be found in the Town Hall at all times except during events. There are many tasks she can perform for the player, such as change the town tune, add or delete public works projects, and file complaints about villagers. For more information on these tasks, please view the Town Hall page.
- Isabelle has her own Twitter account (@animalcrossing), where she updates news about Animal Crossing: New Leaf once in a while, as of May 6, 2013.
- Her Japanese name, Shizue, may be interpreted as "quiet branch," possibly referring to the peaceful nature of the Animal Crossing games. It can also be derived from her breed, the Shih Tzu.
- Her Spanish name is Canela (Cinnamon), a symbol of wisdon and good health. "Can" is also another word for dog in Spanish, and is used in the Spanish version of the game with her brother's name, Candrés.
- Her French name is Marie, a pun on the word Mairie (Town Hall) or Maire (Mayor).
- Her Italian name is Fuffi, a pin on the fact that she's a dog.
- The only way to get her coffee preference is through her brother Digby, since she doesn't appear in the café at random intervals.